There are no easy roads to success, and it takes time, tenacity and drive to reach whatever level of success you want to reach. I can only tell you that for me, the journey has been filled with highs and lows, but I’ve recognized that each low taught me a valuable lesson I was able to apply later to reach a new high. Here are a few of the tips I’ve learned along the way:
- Find your niche: Find and develop your passion – and although we need money to live, don’t let that be your primary focus (for now). If you’re following you path, doing what you love, start out working for free, or for less than you hope to make in the future just to get the experience. Once you’ve found your passion, you’re that much closer to living the life of your dreams.
- Find a mentor: I’ve been blessed to have wonderful mentors who have been able to guide me along the way. If you’re going to ask for career advice, ask for advice from someone notable in your field – don’t think that because of their accolades that they are out of reach, there are plenty of successful individuals out there who are willing to help if you just put yourself out there and ask for guidance.
- Work harder: This is one of the greatest keys to success in any industry. Work harder than your competition. Remember that the rewards will be equivalent to the amount of work you put into your passion – whether its writing articles daily, researching fashion trends or producing music each day. And then share your work with the world. Let people know what it is that you’re doing.
- Ask for help: Once you’re in the groove of what you’re passionate about, ask others to help you along the way. People are much more inclined to help the person who’s already working hard to get to where they want to be in life. Ask your mentors and friends for client recommendations. One of your biggest resources can be word-of-mouth.
- Stay focused: Another of the greatest keys to being a successful entrepreneur is to stay focused. Write down your objectives for the week and then set daily goals to accomplish each goal. Learn to block distractions, naysayers and negative thoughts because at the end of the day, they won’t help you pay the bills, but your output will.