So far we’ve discussed quite a bit about public relations and marketing tactics that can work for your brand, but I wanted to also highlight some essentials that every business should have in their arsenal. A media kit is a necessity for every business and I can tell you how to build one in 5 simple steps. I do this for the business owner who doesn’t have the budget for a PR firm – its good to at least have the basics.
- Develop a Company Profile: Consider this your company’s bio – describe the mission and vision statement, start dates, and other relevant information about the company. Think about where the company is now, where it was and where’s its going.
- Write a press release/profile for every product offering: Though, you may not send these out to journalists as “news” items per se, these will be beneficial to you in the future as you begin sending your kit out to potential media. This will give journalists more to work with when you do finally have the right pitch for them.
- Take quality photos: Be sure to include quality photos of your brand’s major products or related services. Color photos or quality black and white photos can work as well.
- Develop an FAQ: This is a great tool for prospective clients. Address how your product or service addresses consumer issues. Also think about questions potential journalists may have – include them here as well because they can often help guide potential interviews later.
- Add your business logo and contact information: Every piece in your media kit should have this clearly labeled so that your brand and contact information stands out in case the receiver needs to contact your organization.
- *Note: Your media kit should be available online and if you have hard copies, this information should be available in a branded folder.