As sure as the day is long, your brand is sure to come under fire at some point or another, and it will either be sink or swim for your organization. As a PR professional, a good portion of my work involves crisis management, and I can offer you a bit of solid advice that will help you manage any crisis that comes your way…
- Take a Minute to Access the Situation: Remain calm and take a pulse check of your organization. Brief your team, investigate what happened and begin tracking the crisis before you react. Understand the crisis from a business perspective. These crucial steps will help you determine who your messages should target and through what channels.
- Determine Your Brand Positioning and Messages: Once you’ve gotten a strong hold the impacts of the crisis, you’ll want to determine what your brand’s stance on the issue is and prepare genuine statements to either refute or address the issue.
- Determine Distribution Channels: The channels are important, as you’ll need to understand your target’s preferred medium and hit them with your messaging as quickly as reasonably possible.
- Monitor Public Reactions: Gauge social media, blogs, and media outlets to understand the reactions to your messaging. Do you need to take further action? Will you need to modify your responses?
- Learn the Experience: Document your lessons learned. Understand why this happened and begin to develop safe guards for the future.